From: Wiley Sanders <wms2@stmarys-ca.edu>
Subject: Re: Bouncing off Blackberry users
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 09:08:24 -0700
To: CommuniGate Pro Discussions <CGatePro@mail.stalker.com>
After looking at this a little longer, the Blackberrys are disconnecting, they are just polling every 2 min. Thats what I wish I had control over. It doesn't look like any of our other clients are being abusive by polling the server at less than 2 minute intervals.

I think 2 min in the Thunderbird default, too, so any connection rejection due to frequent polling is just going to flummox users and generate a field service call.

I can reduce the number of allowed sockets per IP in old Communigate versions, but that, again, causes Thunderbird to throw a message asking the user to tune down the number of cached connections. Thunderbird's default is 5. Allowing only 2 or 3 sockets per IP address didn't have that much effect anyway.

Bottom line - our server is just overwhelmed.

-Wiley Sanders
System Administrator
St Marys College of California
http://wsanders.net