From: The Count of CipherSpace <CountZeroI@CipherSpace.org.in>
Subject: Re: newbie - making to move from web*
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2002 22:16:14 -0500
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>, rashantha de silva <rush@idealzone.com>
rashantha de silva at 2002-01-18 18:03 from rush@idealzone.com wrote:

>i am new user and reading and rereading the skimpy docs at stalker.com/sims.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Stalker in general and SIMS in
particular.

<snip>

>username: john
>email address: john@company1.com
>pop server: mail.company1.com
>
>will this have to change?
>or do i have to add an extension in from of the username
>

>here is what i hope is correct...
>----
>to have multiple domains in the router section i must have entries
>
><*@company1> = cl1-*
><*@company2> = cl2-*

Well, actually

<*@company1.com> - cl1-*

but, you knew that.

If you use this, then to answer your question above:  Yes, you clients
will have to change their settings.

>----
>in order to switch to my new mail server my dns setting must change to
>
>mail.company1.com.    mx  10  mail.idealzone.net

It would be more like:

company1.com.          MX  10  mail.idealzone.net

>and in my dns setting for idealzone.net change
>
>mail.idealzone.net.   A   new ip address

Correct.

And:

mail.company1.com      A   new IP address

or, you could set mail.company1.com as a CNAME to mail.idealzone.net
(this way if you change IPs you will only need to change the A record for
mail.idealzone.net).