From: Lyle D. Gunderson <lyle@mac.com>
Subject: Re: Open Relay Question
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 17:51:48 -0700
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
On Mon, 21 Jan 2002 10:42, Christopher Bort <webmaster@globalhomes.com>
is alleged to have written:

>On 01/21/02 at 08:51, Shawn Rogers wrote:

(snip)

>> So how do I need to configure SIMS so I am no longer an open relay, but so
>> my users can still reach and send mail using SIMS?
>
>In the SMTP Service Settings, enable 'Relay for Clients Only', then enter the
>IP addresses of any machines you want to allow to relay into the 'Client
>Hosts' list. You have now closed your relay.

That's what I would have thought, too, but this morning I found that a
spammer had used my SIMS to send out a few pieces of spam which SIMS
delivered. The "Relay for Clients Only" box is checked (as it always has
been) but the "Verify Return Paths" checkbox was not. I have since
checked the latter box, and have seen no spam go out since then, but that
doesn't mean it made any difference since the spammer's machine tried
many times before succeeding anyway.

So, where can I look to see what else I may have missed? The
correspondence between my server and the spammer's machine
(bounce.em5000.net) seems to have mentioned an unused IP address that's
on my server. I can't tell if the spammer is using it or how it even
could. That IP address is on my SIMS client IP list. I have no idea how
to tell from the log or from the message queue what the IP address of the
spammer's machine is.

Anyway, if somebody can help me understand what else I need to do or
check, I'm sure the information would be useful to others reading the
list who are just starting out with SIMS. I've been reading this list for
a long time, and now that I've actually got SIMS running, I get surprised.

Thanks in advance!

--Lyle