From: <billc_lists@greenbuilder.com>
Subject: Re: adding a user
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 23:24:15 -0600
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
I want to create a web page that allows users to create a new user account and access there mail. I have a web page program that will work but only once they have an account. I need to know what to do to make this work. If there is anyway you can help it would be great. We have no money to spend on high class server like CommuniGate because we are a non profit organization. I await your response. Many thanks in advance.

Reece

While I can think of several third-party cgis that would allow you to create a new account file (which is basically all it would take), I have to question the security of such a setup.

It sounds to me like an invitation to spammers - log in, create a fully working account, and off you go.  Unless you have a payment system or some other way of being able to track who actually owns the account worked into the equation, which you don't mention.

Of course, the cgi you use would have to be able to set the password, which is in the resource fork of the file.  Or you could duplicate an existing default account file that already has a password set, renaming the file to the new user's account name (after first checking for existing accounts with that name, of course).  Then you'd just have to figure out some way to be sure they *change* the password.

BC
--
Bill Christensen
billc@greenbuilder.com