From: Pete Stephenson <pete@heypete.com>
Subject: Re: weird error...
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 16:24:17 -0800
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
Failed to deliver your message to joedan@west21.com:
SMTP: Address rejected by host
Host 'mail.west21.com' says:
591 No mail will be accepted. Your host is in a Black List. The host is
suspected in address harvesting

What the heck is going on here?

That would be your local blacklist. the 'RBL' settings in SIMS typically result in bounces with more specific information.

Specifically it would indicate that SIMS detected an attempt at address harvesting (usually triggered for me after a spammer attempts to verify a dictionary list against my server using RCPT TO commands). After X (I forget the precise value) attempts that result in "unknown user", SIMS adds the IP to a temporary blacklist for (I think) 20 minutes.

I agree, with Bill though -- the "RBL" settings allow one to configure much more detailed/specific information.
--
Pete Stephenson
HeyPete.com