From: Tod Fitch <tod@FitchDesign.com>
Subject: Slightly OT: Classic DNS question
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 21:25:44 -0800
To: <UnsupportedOSX@mail.maclaunch.com>, SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
My apologies for a slightly off topic post to both the Unsupported X and SIMS mail lists.

I am trying to setup a PPC9500/200 with OS X.1.3 & OS 9.2 to replace my aging PPC7200/75 that is currently running my web, DNS and mail servers. Using XpostFacto I have OS X and 9.2 setup and with my rusty Unix skills got Apache and bind running. But I want to continue using SIMS for mail (my last run in with sendmail many years ago I don't want to repeat). There is no carbon version of SIMS. I can  get SIMS to run in classic but for the anti-spam features to be effective I need it to have access to DNS. (Return path verification and RBL lookups, etc.)

Checking, I see that classic seems to use the same DNS server specification as OS X (the local machine in this case). But I can't get lookups in classic to work. Using IpNetMonitor in classic, I see that lookups work okay if I choose a name server other than the local machine. Classic TCP/IP works okay, but having Classic use OS X's server in the same machine does not seem to work.

Has anyone else observed this? Is there something I have done wrong or is there a workaround?

Thanks, Tod