From: Michael Davis <admin@network13.net>
Subject: Understanding SMTP commands
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 16:40:16 -0800
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
Hi all,
I'm educating myself on the raw SMTP commands.  Using telnet, I've had success sending to one recipient using:

telnet mail.domain.com 25
HELO domain.com
EHLO domain.com
MAIL FROM: me@domain.com
RCPT TO: them@domain.com
DATA To: them@domain.com
From: me@domain.com
CC: somone@else.com
Subject: Hello there

This is the message.
.
RSET
QUIT

Question: How do I create a message, or send commands that will send to multiple recipients using CC and BCC headers?  Is this done by the mail agent when communicating with the SMTP server, or is this done on the server end while parsing headers in the DATA stream?  In the example above, for instance, the CC: header is ignored and only the recipient in the RCPT TO: field is sent the message.  It makes sense that an SMTP server should not parse mail headers in the DATA, but it does seem to add a Date: header, which leads me to believe that there is some degree of parsing of the DATA going on.

A bit confused,
Mike