From: Global Homes Webmaster <webmaster@globalhomes.com>
Subject: Re: Understanding SMTP commands
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 17:41:34 -0800
To: <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
On 03/27/02 at 17:35, Michael Davis wrote:

> Great, thanks for clearing that up.  So by issuing multiple RCTP
> TO: commands the server will construct a list of recipients for the
> message.  Funny about the RSET command, which was listed as the
> command to reset the session for a particular message in the online
> documentation I was reading.

Yes, if you wish to send more than one message in a given SMTP session, you
would issue a RSET after sending one message and before sending the next.
RSET causes the server to reset the state of the session.

> It was listed as a command used to end the session so that a new one
> could be initiated.

As I understand it, you can't necessarily know what state the server is in
when you first connect, so you issue a RSET immediately following the
HELO/EHLO in order to make sure that it has been reset.

      <http://www.globalhomes.com/> | PGP public key available on request