From: Terry Allen <hmag@ozemail.com.au>
Subject: Re: SIMS on OSX experimentation
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2002 15:30:57 +1000
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
>> A real shame there. If I could bounce the mail off my router, I
>>might just get it working, but not on the one machine. Thanks for the info.
>> SIMS seems to be able to determine DNS using the DNS server that's
>>running on the same machine under OSX, maybe it's OSX that can't
>>communicate with SIMS.
>
>Are you certain of that?  Is the only DNS server listed in the
>Classic TCP/IP settings the same address that Classic thinks it is
>using?  I'm dubious because as far as I can tell, OpenTransport
>really is ignorant of its position running in a thin emulator, and so
>refrains from sending packets into what it sees as network hardware
>if the packets look like loopbacks of any sort.
>
>On the other hand, if I'm slightly wrong in how 'smart' (for normal
>situations) OT is about loopback traffic, it could be that UDP
>traffic (like DNS) works while TCP (like SMTP) can't, at least for
>UDP listeners in the OS X world.
>--
>Bill Cole
>bill@scconsult.com

Hi again,
Well, while I've done so many things lately I don't remember, but
I'm pretty sure I never did any TCP setting in classic (9.2.2 for your
reference) & checking that machine now shows no TCP/IP control panel, yet
SIMS is still able to deliver mail to another 'real world' server remotely,
so my guess is it is able to see the OSX stack. You may be right about the
UDP/TCP part listed above.

Bye for now, Terry Allen
hEARd

Postal Address:
hEARd
c/o 128 The Entrance Rd
The Entrance
NSW    2261
Australia

Internet -
WWW:
http://heard.com.au or http://www.ozemail.com.au/~hmag
http://hosting.heard.com.au

Interactive Message Board - http://heard.com.au/wwwboard/

EMAIL: (checked every Thursday & Sunday, sometimes more often)
hmag@ozemail.com.au