From: Tod Fitch <tod@FitchDesign.com>
Subject: Re: Stability
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2002 10:16:53 -0700
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
At 7:40 AM -0700 4/13/02, Chris Hufford wrote:
I have a G4 machine running a bunch of server applications (Macjordomo,
NetPrez, Contact Server, Filemaker Pro...) including SIMS 1.8b8. I have
found that I need to restart the machine every week or so otherwise it will
crash about every 10 days. I have tried as many experiments as I can (on a
busy server) to isolate the problem. I never would have suspected SIMS as
being the problem because of all the stability praises I have read here.

However, on a different G4 I was running only Filemaker Server. That machine
never crashed - in 9 months it was only restarted about 4 times. About a
month ago, I installed SIMS on it to be a backup to our main SIMS. Now that
G4 crashes every couple of weeks. As far as I can tell, the only change on
that previously stable machine is that SIMS now runs on it also.

Has anyone had a problem like this? Is there a newer development version of
SIMS that might help? Thanks for the help.

Both G4s have 256+meg and are running 9.2.2.

My OS 8.1, SIMS 1.8b8, AutoShare, QuickDNS Pro machine has not crashed since I stopped running Summary and QuidProQuo on it. When I was running the web server stuff (QPQ & Summary) it would crash about once a week.

The full up combination had run without periodic crashing until fairly recently. I suspect that some web attacks targeted at Windows machines were not being kind to QPQ. From the log files, it seems that web attacks are nearly all the time now. In addition, I now see continuous low rate address harvesting attempts on the SIMS logs. The Internet is not as safe a place for servers as it was only a few months ago.