Mailing List SIMS@mail.stalker.com Message #10756
From: LuKreme <kremels@kreme.com>
Subject: Re: Maximum #of Entrys in the Blacklist
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 07:42:08 -0600
To: <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
X-Mailer: Mailsmith 1.5.1 (Blindsider)
On Thursday, 25 April 2002 Bill Cole might have said:

>At 1:26 PM -0600 4/25/02, LuKreme  imposed structure on a
>    stream of electrons, yielding:
>>At 12:12 4/25/2002 -0700 Dan MacDonald wrote:
>>>The argument that a well run, publicly available
>>>    blacklist(s) is preferable to this system is compelling.
>>
>>Yes, but with the spammers taking legal action and,
>>    absurdly, the courts siding with them, it makes the
>>    whole RBL thing much more difficult.
>
>I'm not sure what you are talking about. There has never been
>    a lawsuit over RBL-style blacklists which has been
>    decided in a court.

There have been lawsuits from spammers against ISPs that blocked their
spam.  AOL, for one was sued and lost to a spammer.

Was AOL using a RBL?  I have no idea HOW AOL was blacklisting the
spammer sites, but they were and they lost.

>I expect that one thing spam will accelerate is the
>    devolution of email out of the hands of ISP's and into
>    the hands of relatively small user collections such as
>    families. You cannot ever hope to implement really good
>    spam filtering at the ISP level because once you get past
>    a few hundred users from the general public, the
>    diversity of that community makes for a broad range of
>    mail that people really want to get through.  

A user managed whitelist of authenticate users is the ultimate
refinement of what you are talking about.   Get the mail you want to
get.  I can tell you that most people get the vast majority of their
mail from known senders.  I look at my mail, a couple of thousand
messages a week, and even mine is 95% from known senders.  The other 5%
can certainly jump through an extra hoop if it allows for a complete and
total stop to the spam.

I've had the same email address for 7 years now, and the same basic
email address for 15 years.  I get -lots- of spam.

>This makes
>    SIMS all the more interesting as a mail server because it
>    is ideally suited for microservers. On hardware that is
>    otherwise laughable by today's standards, you can set up
>    a server for a dozen users that almost never stops
>    working and doesn't require a multidisciplinary expert to
>    administer.

And SIMS has good anti-spam features.  It works great.  Not arguing
about that.


But I am seeing a marked increase in Spam.  It has beena long time since
I had a Spam free day, and it's been months since I had a "less than 50
spams" day.  And that's not counting the spam that sims catches.  With
the escalation of spam the mailqueues will continue to grow, the servers
will get more bogged down, my T1 connection will be less and less able
to handle the load and eventually I will have to upgrade equipment and
storage just because of spam.

I've already had to upgrade all of my mailboxes from 1MB to 10MB because
people were losing mail with a 1MB box.

You know you've achieved perfection in replying to a list message, not when
you have nothing more to add, but when you have nothing more to take away.
                                                -- with Apologies to Antoine
Subscribe (FEED) Subscribe (DIGEST) Subscribe (INDEX) Unsubscribe Mail to Listmaster