From: Neil Herber <nospam@mail.eton.ca>
Subject: Another router puzzle - two-way spam trap
Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 14:55:56 -0400
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
I have implemented several local address spam traps that work just fine, but I am running into trouble when using foreign addresses as spam traps.

I use an outside (not under my control) alias server that forwards mail to my SIMS box. The spam arrives addressed as follows:

To: neil@outside.com, a@outside.com, b@outside.com, c@outside.com

The alias server at "outside.com" redirects my mail to neil@mydomain.com. It appears to do this by setting the envelope to neil@mydomain.com.

Since no-one other than spammers ever send mail to me AND to a, b, or c, I thought I would be clever and spam trap those addresses with a router entry like so:
<neil> = fromoutside  ; local mailbox for the aliased address
*@outside.com = spamtrap  ; if it is also addressed to others, it is spam

This seems to work except that I can no longer send mail via SIMS to any address at the "outside.com" domain. The router appears to operate on addresses regardless of the direction of the mail.

Is there some way around this? Listing the addresses explicitly will not work because I actually have to send mail to a@outside.com, b@outside.com, and c@outside.com from time to time.

All suggestions, including rude ones to read page X of the manual welcome.

--
Neil

Neil Herber, RGD
Corporate info at http://www.eton.ca/