From: Craig Bowers <cbowers@caravel.bc.ca>
Subject: D14 and too many files
Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 15:01:05 -0700
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
1.8b9.d14  On a 7200/90 with OS 8.6

Ran into an issue yesterday where my queue was somewhat more full than
usual due to a server I'm secondary for, being unavailable for 24 hours.

Local clients started not being able to log into their accounts.

Locally the box was complaining of two many files open, as was the log:

16:24:54 0 SYSTEM [S.0000475204] OSOpen failed. Error Code=-42

This would happen within seconds of restarting SIMS as all the queued
items went to simultaneous retry attempts.

It was solved by shutting down SIMS, pulling the contents of the queue
out, moving a small chunk of them back into the queue, restarting SIMS
long enough for it to send them (the primary was up again by this time),
then shutting SIMS down, and transferring in another chunk of messages
into the queue and restarting SIMS (and so on), until they were all sent.

Shouldn't SIMS keeping itself in check here?