From: Stefan Jeglinski <jeglin@4pi.com>
Subject: Re: Address harvesting bans backup server
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 14:38:07 -0400
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
However, if they are really clever (this eliminates most) the spammer will use the lowest priority MX to send stuff to you. So why not try this:

  MX 10 mail.realsimsmachine.com
  MX 20 mail.fakesimsmachine.com
  MX 30 mail.myisp.net
  MX 40 mail.fake2simsmachine.com

where the "*simsmachine.com" addresses all resolve to the same IP. I am not a DNS expert by any stretch of the imagination, so I am quite prepared to see this recommendation shot down in flames.

Not at all, this is exactly what I do. I have no statistics on its effectiveness. I do note that I see more and more spam getting in through my legit secondaries (the ones I cannot block). That means either

a) good - about the only spam getting to me is through the secondaries, because my regular blocking is almost perfect

b) bad - spammers are increasingly resorting to this trick.

Common sense tells me: b.

Stefan Jeglinski