?????? #11116 ?????? ???????? SIMS@stalker.com
?? ????: Timothy Binder <tim@morganadesign.com>
????: Re: please explain: rejection using mirror to list (long log attached)
????: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 01:12:03 -0400
????: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
I don't have a full response, but I do have some observations, following
some quick testing with SIMS.

On 6/27/02 12:23 PM, "Stefan Jeglinski" <jeglin@4pi.com> wrote, with much
snipped:

> 11:35:57 2 SYSTEM [S.0000124883]
> <p05111b01b940df74448d@[63.220.231.176]> 10+1
> From:dso_exec-request@mx.4pi.com
>
> My first question is why does the e-mail show as from
> dso_exec-request? I note that my logs have always shown this, so I
> suspect it is something that SIMS normally does (the additional
> "-request" added on, that is).

This is the Return Path for the message if you have "Copy original
Return-Path addresses" unchecked for the mirror. (This setting may only
appear in the web interface, not the CommuniGator one.) That is the only
place it seems to change.

> 11:36:02 1 SMTP-758(qmail.webpipe.net) SPAM? Recipient
> '<dso_exec-request@mx.4pi.com>' rejected: user unknown
> 11:36:03 3 SMTP-758(qmail.webpipe.net) Abort Received, reason=54
> 11:36:03 3 SMTP-758(qmail.webpipe.net) Reading Failed. Error Code=-25010.
> Read:
>
> -> WTF? this is a rejection by SIMS from an attempt to send to it
> by qmail.webpipe.net, correct?
> Where did qmail.webpipe.net come in, and why is it sending to
> dso_exec-request@mx.4pi.com?
>
> AFAICT, all the messages were delivered, and I got my copy also. I
> searched all my logs previous to this, and this is the first time
> I've seen this, so it may be transient, but for now it is persistent
> (repeat tests show the same thing).
>
> I know this is a tedious technical analysis, but I'd sure appreciate the help!

For some reason, I have "<*-request> = postmaster" in my router. I must have
put it in long ago, possibly to monitor bounces. I'm guessing that one of
your recipients is eventually bouncing the email, somewhere along its
delivery chain. An attempt is being made to contact the original sender,
which is dso_exec-request, according to the Return Path. You might want to
set your server to temporarily receive the message and see what it says.
Also consider changing the mirror setting, so bounces are properly
delivered. (Or add a router setting, as above.)

HTH,
Tim
--
Programmers do their work but once, while users are saddled with it ever
thereafter.