From: Neil Herber <nospam@mail.eton.ca>
Subject: Re: viruses and SIMS
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2002 13:11:25 -0400
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
It is rumored that on or about 2002-07-01 11:32 AM -0500, Chris Wagner wrote as follows:
I thought that I had read about Klez mimicking from known addresses, even
though the source may not be accurate.

Chris

Your memory and the reports are accurate. Start at this page:

http://www.uwm.edu/IMT/helpdesk/faq/klez.html

it has links to removal tools, links to Wired articles about address spoofing,  and a good explanation of how Klez spreads.

If the recipients of Klez emails had the wit to use a tool like http://spamcop.net/ it would show them that the "From:" is faked and it would point them to the real infected machine. Mind you, I almost complained to a person I knew that they had sent me Klez before I did a Spamcop check. So much for mister clever face! ;->

--
Neil

Neil Herber, RGD
Corporate info at http://www.eton.ca/