From: Warren Michelsen <Warren@MDCCLXXVI.com>
Subject: Re: Receiving Mail for a Domain That's Gone
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 14:24:09 -0700
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
At 3:06 PM -0400 07/12/2002, Neil Herber wrote:

>So it doesn't matter one whit if the domain name is "obviously.not.yours.com", if that resolves to the IP of your server or one of your listed "Client Hosts" (SIMS words), SIMS treats it as a "client" and not a "stranger".
>
>Since SIMS is comparing IPs only, it must be doing a DNS lookup at some point.

Presumably, this is a lookup for MX records. In the case of mindcorral, it will find one on the secondary DNS server. (I gotta check and see what my default expiration is on these domains. That secondary should have expired long ago.)

>----snip---
>
>>It's pretty clear that SIMS *is* generating bounces -- which is just what I wanted it to do. So I guess my question should be modified to: Once a bounce message is sent, why does SIMS keep all this undeliverable mail in my queue?
>>
>>The answer is probably, "So the postmaster will know what's going on." Eh?
>
>You control the length of time that failed mail is kept in the queue. Again the SIMS docs tell all:

How long is not the issue. That it gets into the queue at all is puzzling. And, once in the queue, the mail was handled. That is, it bounced the message. Good Job, SIMS. Why does it need to sit in the queue? SIMS bounces messages all the time for accounts no longer hosted and it doesn't keep them sitting around in the queue...

--
"President Bush said the 9-11 terror strikes were an attack on our freedoms.

"John Ashcroft has decided that it's better to destroy those freedoms
 than to leave them exposed as such an easy target."

 - Pauly & Maury, Weakly Politics newsletter