From: Warren Michelsen <Warren@MDCCLXXVI.com>
Subject: Re: Receiving Mail for a Domain That's Gone
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 14:34:53 -0700
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
At 2:06 PM -0700 07/12/2002, Global Homes Webmaster wrote:

>Is that other ('rogue') server serving the zone as a master or a slave?

Slave

>If it's a slave, and it was getting zone transfers from your name server(s),
>then it should eventually expire the zone data and everything will go away

I'd expected that to happen by now (another curiosity). The expiration is set for seven days and it's been weeks since I removed the zones from my servers and requested that my secondaries do the same (June 26th, I believe.)

Of course, the secondary in question, eaglecrest.jurisdata.com, is running Windows NT so who knows how Gates and Company have re-written the DNS rules and such. Microsoft is not known for adhering to Internet standards and RFCs.

>... if it's a slave, you could
>always re-establish the zone on your master server, but give it MX records
>that point off into oblivion. Then, the next time the secondary grabs a
>zone transfer, everyone will be going off into the void.

Hmmm. that's an interesting idea...

--
"President Bush said the 9-11 terror strikes were an attack on our freedoms.

"John Ashcroft has decided that it's better to destroy those freedoms
 than to leave them exposed as such an easy target."

 - Pauly & Maury, Weakly Politics newsletter