From: Thomas Tempelmann <listuser@tempel.org>
Subject: Verifying the SMTP's dest address
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 20:27:17 -0700
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
I found that a lot of the spam I get does contain any proper
destination address in its headers.

E.g, while the Log shows that there was a msg for the account
"listuser" on my server, the headers will not contain anything
that refers to "listuser@tempel.org".

Example:

A mail from this list contains this line in the header:

 from mail.stalker.com ([209.1.58.249] verified) by tempel.org
 (Stalker SMTP Server 1.8b8) with ESMTP id S.0000034935 for
 <listuser@tempel.org>; Sun, 27 Jan 2002 10:11:17 -0800

Here, the text "<listuser@tempel.org>" is what I was looking for.
But some SPAM mails do not contain this information for which
account they were meant.

I have 2 thoughts:

1.
If this information is not present in the header, the only way
to see for which account the mail was is by looking into the
log. This is awkward. Can't this be improved in some way?

2.
Since I see this happening only with SPAM mail, can't this be
used for another spam protection mechanism?

Oh, and one more: Wouldn't it be possible (I mean easy) to
allow me to write code that would get executed when SIMS receives
a mail so that this code of mine could look at the mail text,
allowing me to delete certain mail that I consider spam right
away? I guess Communigate Pro can do this, though?

Thomas