From: Michael Croft <michael@whiterose.org>
Subject: Re: A _simple_ list server that can identify the receiver's mail addr?
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 00:59:51 -0500
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
At 10:29 PM -0700 7/22/02, Thomas Tempelmann wrote:

>Om then here is my point in return: I considers this feature
>useful to users who have their own domain (such as me) and who
>are free to use whatever mail addr they want under this domain.
>Such users will usually not subscribe with different names to
>the same list, and even if they did, they would be responsible
>themselves for having their mail server flooded by multiple copied
>of each list msg.

If you aren't willing to keep your 'Welcome to the Foo List' messages, then
you may want to consider how you set those 'one-time' subscribe addresses
up.

There are two options.

One is to use the unknown account and collect every message to your domain.
This comes up about every six months on the list and you can scan the
archives for all the reasons not to and all the 'but I have a special
reason why I must' discussions.

The other is to set up a router entry for all your one time addresses.
<*-JMC-list>=michael and follow a rule about the way you use the accounts:
Foo-JMC-list@whiterose.org for the Foo list
SIMS-JMC-list@whiterose.org for the SIMS list
MacJ-JMC-list@whiterose.org for the MacJordomo list

You could set a rule for each list address, and that would give you some
assurance that you could find them in the router:
<Steve-SIMS-LIST>=Steve

If you're doing the former, consider the latter.  It won't get you any info
in the headers that isn't there, but it will give you an expected alias.
--
Michael Croft       http://www.whiterose.org/michael
SAM: It's 106 miles to the Crack of Doom. We've got a magic ring,