From: The Count of CipherSpace <CountZeroI@CipherSpace.org.in>
Subject: Re: Blacklist vs. Routing.
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2002 09:12:21 -0400
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>, Chris Wagner <ismgr@atchisonkansas.net>
Chris Wagner at 2002-08-23 10:38 from ismgr@atchisonkansas.net wrote:

>It appears that the routing table in SIMS works alongside blacklisting to
>help fight spam.
>
>Assuming this is correct, can someone please help me with a solution to a
>problem?
>
>We have several people who use webmail accounts like Yahoo and Hotmail,
>which are obviously used by the most spammers in the entire world.
>
>I'm wondering if there is a way to use either the IP blocking or router
>entries to both allow certain traffic (only assigned foreign mailboxes,
>routing them to a default mailbox) and then close out all other traffic from
>both of those places.
>
>Any suggestions or can this be done?
>
>Thanks in advance.

The following to permit:

<postmaster@hotmail.com> = postmaster@hotmail.com.smtp

and, the following to blacklist:

hotmail.com = error

all entries to permit must preceed the one for blacklisting.

Please, keep in mind this will block traffic coming from hotmail.com
addresses;  irrespective of whether it is actually from Hotmail or if it
is faked - on the other hand (assuming it were possible to fake mail
coming from Hotmail) if mail actually comes from Hotmail servers, but the
address is faked to something else, it will come through.