From: Warren Michelsen <Warren@MDCCLXXVI.com>
Subject: Addressing to an IP Address
Date: Sun, 8 Sep 2002 11:28:23 -0700
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
The last I heard, addressing email to an IP address in the form : support@[65.163.82.3] was perfectly legal. The folks at TEKData.net have some really screwed up DNS and went and changed class Cs. Now their server is (mostly) unreachable because most lookups result in non-authoritative data that is out of date.

Anyway, instead of support@tekdata.net, I sent email to support@[65.163.82.3] which should have gone through. Now, I know these guys use Windows NT. Is this problem" 550 unknown user" due to some brain-damaged MS email server they use?

Failed to deliver your message to support@[65.163.82.3]:
SMTP: Address rejected by host
Host '[65.163.82.3]' says:
550 unknown user <support@[65.163.82.3]>