From: Geoff Canyon <gcanyon@inspiredlogic.com>
Subject: Re: Simple Question: multiple domains?
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2002 19:53:29 -0700
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
At 7:50 PM -0400 9/9/02, Neil Herber wrote:
>It is rumored that on or about 2002-09-09 1:29 PM -0700, Geoff Canyon wrote as follows:
>>I think I already know the answer to this, but I want to confirm it, and find out why this is so.
>>
>>I want to be able to handle mail for several different domains, hopefully from a single server running SIMS. My understanding is that this isn't really possible with SIMS (or any mail server?). I can fake it in various ways, but all of them involve some sort of limitation: no two accounts in different domains can have the exact same account name -- or workarounds: aliasing mail accounts, which still shows up on the POP side of things.
>>
>>For comparison: I have MacHTTP installed on a computer. Several domains are pointed at the server. MacHTTP is smart enough to note the domain name of an incoming request, and serve the resulting page from the folder designated for that site.
>>
>>Is a simple setup like that possible with an SMTP/POP server? Is it possible with SIMS? What's the best way to go for this.
>>--
>>
>>regards,
>>
>>Geoff Canyon
>
>Geoff
>
>In MacHTTP I am willing to bet that you point the separate domains to different root folders. So you could say that no two root folders could have the same name - they must be unique.

This is exactly right.

>In much the same way with SIMS you need to do domain level routing to point an account in a particular domain to a uniquely named local account. The best way to do this is to establish a prefix or suffix "rule" for the account names.
>
>Example email addresses:
>fred@firstdom.com
>fred@seconddom.com
>
>Example SIMS accounts:
>fred-1
>fred-2
>
>Example router entries (foreign aliasing):
><*@firstdom.com> = *-1
><*@seconddom.com> = *-2
>
>This will accomplish what you want to do. Your clients need to POP from the account fred-1 or fred-2, but they can set their Reply-To addresses to fred@firstdom.com and fred@seconddom.com respectively.
>
>Using a suffix or prefix rule makes account maintenance easy. You could assign any arbitrary but unique string to each account - but then you would need a routing entry for every one. You could also use a longer, more meaningful string for the suffix.

So the question is: why isn't the domain itself sufficient to differentiate the two accounts?

It sounds as though on the SMTP end, it is: mail comes in for fred@firstdom.com and fred@seconddom.com, and the SMTP server knows enough to store the mail separately based on the different domains.

But the POP3 server doesn't have access to that information? fred@firstdom.com logs in to get his email, and the POP3 server doesn't have any way of knowing whether is fred from firstdom.com or fred from seconddom.com?
--

regards,

Geoff Canyon
gcanyon@inspiredlogic.com