From: Pete Stephenson <pete@heypete.com>
Subject: Editing SMTP error codes?
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 07:05:45 -0700
To: <sims>
Hi all,

I note that SIMS returns a 591 error code when rejecting mail that's been tagged as spam.

I'm curious if this is editable, either on a per-DNSbl level (i.e. positive results from some lists can return a 5xx error, and some can return a 4xx error), or on a global scale (i.e. instead of giving the error code 591, perhaps give the error 550).

While spamware is generally obnoxious, it would appear that some respond to 550 errors by auto-removing that address from their list. When SIMS rejects mail with 591, nearly all the spamware that attempts to deliver mail to my server continue to bombard my 60Mhz Performa 6115CD with repeated attempts to deliver the spam.

Cheers!
--
Pete Stephenson
HeyPete.com