From: Pete Stephenson <pete@heypete.com>
Subject: Re: Hello? Are These RBLs Working?
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 21:08:21 -0700
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
I haven't performed a rigorous grep of the logs yet, but over the last few months I don't recall seeing mention of any rbl but 'spamcop' accompanying the "SPAM?" rejections. Could it really be that Spamcop happens to cover all of the spam attempts such that the other rbl's don't get exercised (presuming there's an if-then-elseif logic thru my rbl list), or are the other lists really that conservative that they've never seen an ip they didn't like?

I put the more conservative lists (such as Spamhaus and whatnot) earlier in the list, and the aggressive lists (like SpamCop) later in the list. Usually if something's listed by another list, it's listed by SpamCop.

It's my understanding that SIMS checks all the lists simultaneously, but the order in which they're listed in the preferences is how they're displayed -- i.e. if mail is blocked by two ore more lists, the first one in the order in the preferences is considered the one who rejected the message.

I could be wrong, but that's how it appears to work for me.
--
Pete Stephenson
HeyPete.com