From: LuKreme <kremels@kreme.com>
Subject: Re: Questions about features in SIMS 1.8b9d14
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 15:44:32 -0600
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
On Tuesday, Oct 22, 2002, at 14:06 Canada/Mountain, NetHead wrote:
Once again, I reveal my appalling ignorance and ask some questions that
are probably totally obvious.

First, what do the buttons, "Advertise AUTH Capability" & "Allow ETRN for
Clients Only" in the SMTP setup window do? Why should I or should I not
turn them on?

Some clients will not use AUTH commands unless the server lists AUTH in the header of supported commands.  Checking the Advertise box will allow those clients to use AUTH.

If your mailserver is on a dialup, you might connenct to it and send a ETRN command to start it's queue.  Setting the second checkmark allows this comand to be sent only from IPs listed in the client list.

There's no reason to turn them off, so you might as well leave them on.

Second, I am setting up access for some remote users. Unfortunately, they
are all using "Outlook" (Win). While I shall TRY to encourage them to
move to Eudora (my preferred Windows e-mail client, FWIW), I notice that
Outlook does not support APOP. Is this a problem? Will it make their
transmissions "less" secure?

use AUTH.

Also, is there a mechanism in Outlook for the user to change passwords
that will interface with SIMS PWD server?

No.  as far as I know Eudora is the only mail client that uses the PWD server.