From: NetHead <nethead@pecandeluxe.com>
Subject: (OT) Amusing Anecdote (was "Re(2): very long ping")
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 08:33:33 -0500
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
Glad to hear you figured it out, but it reminds me of an incident I had
here one time. I was running AIMS (before I discovered SIMS) on a Quadra
650 with OS 7.6 (not a screamer, but very serviceable). One morning, I
came in and the whole thing was just CRAWLING... no one could get mail...
if you tried to connect, your machine just waited and waited and finally
timed out. I started poking around checking various settings. Finally, I
stumbled upon a HUGE outbound SMTP file. A little detective work traced
it back to the sending machine. Turns out one of the assistants in that
particular department was using his manager's computer (this department
has only one computer... only for the supervisor, really) to send a copy
of Photoshop (THE WHOLE FREAKIN INSTALLER CD!!!) to a friend...
UNCOMPRESSED!!!!!

I delivered a *stern* lecture on software piracy and proper use of
company e-mail. The guy still works for us, but he hasn't tried that
trick again.

As I always say, I'd have a perfect network if it weren't for the
stinkin' users!

Happy Friday!

-Doug

Wasn't it "laurent pladys" <ltpladys-list@lxir.net> who once said...

>From: "laurent pladys" <ltpladys-list@lxir.net>
>Subject: Re(2): very long ping
>Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 13:51:53 +0200
>

>> It could also be some OS problem that has been coming for some time
>>that may well now be affecting applications as well.
>> Just out of interest, do your SIMS logs show anything holding a
>>connection for any period longer than normal but doing no actual mail
>>activity? When I was running SIMS, I had a few odd things like that,
>>especially when Nimda first appeared.
>
>Thanks for the advice, I finally understood what was going on. 2
>mailboxes that were checked from the same computer had never been emptied
>and each was more than 100 Mb big. That's why SIMS was choking. I moved
>the mail server from an old AWS 7250 to a G4 450 and it was still
>hanging. I then "trimmed" the mailboxes to more reasonnable size (about
>15 Mb) and voila it worked again.
>I also noticed that the very same users were sending mails between 20 and
>75 Mb ...
>I have told them that FTP exists !
>
>So my problem wasn't really SIMS fault, it was a reading 2 100Mb text
>files every 2 or 3 minutes on a PPC 601 at 120 Mhz on Mac OS 8.6 isn't
>really a good idea ...
>I should have turned on the limit mailbox size option
>;-)
>
>Laurent.

|     Doug Starkey                             |
|     Network Administrator                    |
|     Pecan Deluxe Candy Company               |
|     2570 Lone Star Drive                     |
|     Dallas, TX 75212-6308                    |
|     e-mail: nethead@pecandeluxe.com          |
|     voice: 214-631-3669 Ext. 108             |
|     fax: 214-631-5833                        |