From: Thomas Tempelmann <listuser@tempel.org>
Subject: Re: DNS question: A vs CNAME names
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2002 16:54:27 -0800
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
Bill Cole wrote:

>Why not just change those CNAME's to A's???

Because I was not aware that I am allowed to have multiple A
records for the same IP addr. I thought I must use CNAMEs
if I wanted to have multiple names reference the same IP addr.

>FWIW, a lot of people (including me) believe that CNAME's should be
>used in exactly two situations: classless in-addr.arpa delegation and
>the migration of services from one machine to another. Anything else
>should just use real names with A records.

Hmm, yes. Even the DNS HOWTOs I did read were not making clear
what CNAMEs were for. What you say makes sense to me now.

Thanks also to the others who sent me mail on this. I got it all
figured out now, and I also have a mail backup working, provided
by another reader of this list (I'll provide NS backup for him
in exchange).

BTW, here's a tip in case someone is running NonSequitur on OS 9
and wants to migrate to OS X with BIND:

I installed Quick DNS 4 on my server, as a (free) Trial version,
which runs for a few weeks. QDNS has an "import" feature which allowed
me to import NonSequitur's zone files and get everything in place
automatically for BIND 8. That way, I had not to figure out what
goes where to get it all working. Now, that I've got it all
converted, I can uninstall QuickDNS again and keep on using the
converted files for BIND :)

The only feature I'll lose once Q DNS gets uninstalled is the
extended logging feature it provides. But I can live with that.
Saves me $350 after all. I'll have to manually edit the zones
from then on, of course, but that's what I had done all the time
with NonSequitur, too. Only that I did not know how to get them
converted to be used with BIND. Hurray for the Q DNS Trial version!

(I do not want to appear to cheap, but the price of Q DNS is just
too much for me who only runs SIMS and DNS on my private, home
use only, server. If it were available without the multi-user
features and other things I might not need, for about $100, I'd
be happy to purchase it, though).

Thomas

--
Thomas Tempelmann,