From: Global Homes Webmaster <webmaster@globalhomes.com>
Subject: Re: Relay (I assume readdressed)
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 12:13:12 -0800
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
On 12/12/02 at 13:55, Donovan wrote:

> thanks Christopher,
>
> I'll look into the upgrade.
> Here is the headers from the bounce:

> Subject: Undeliverable mail: this is a test
> From: MAILER-DAEMON@ns1.ddbproductions.org
> To: donovan@ns1.ddbproductions.org
> Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 12:07:52 -0600
>
> --_=receipt=_=199406=_
>
> Failed to deliver your message to dbrooke@ehg.net:
> SMTP: Connection is broken
> Cannot speak with 'ns1.ehg.net.' for 2 hours.

So ns1.ddbproductions.org _is_ trying to relay the message, but for some
reason cannot connect to the server on the other end (ns1.ehg.net). Smells
like a network problem rather than a relay restriction. If
ns1.ddbproductions.org were refusing to relay, or if ns1.ehg.net were
refusing the connection because of blacklisting, etc., the bounce message
would say so. Is there, perhaps, a firewall somewhere along the way that's
not letting packets through from ns1.ddbproductions.org?

> --_=receipt=_=199406=_
>
> Reporting-MTA: dns; ns1.ddbproductions.org
>
> Final-Recipient: rfc822; dbrooke@ehg.net
> Action: failed
>

> --_=receipt=_=199406=_

> Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 08:13:24 -0600
> From: Donovan <donovan@ns1.ddbproductions.org>
> To: dbrooke@ehg.net
> Subject: this is a test
>
> --_=receipt=_=199406=_--
> --
>
> Can't figure out why I can't send it... the only thing different is
> that I have the to's address (dbrooke@ehg.net) listed in the client
> hosts field...

The client hosts field should contain the IP addresses of machines you wish
to allow to relay, not e-mail addresses.

> Is there some bug that won't allow one to relay if a message is
> comming from a registered (listed in the client hosts field) IP and
> then going back to it?

Not that I'm aware of. If a remote host's IP address is in the client host
list, it should be allowed to relay to any address.

                      <http://www.globalhomes.com/>