From: Warren Michelsen <Warren@MDCCLXXVI.com>
Subject: Re: Open relay detected within your network
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2003 15:42:25 -0700
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
At 11:14 AM -0800 01/07/2003, Paul Didzerekis wrote:
>>If you put your backup server on the client list of your primary server (so that it will relay all mail from your backup server), and then you tell your backup server to send all mail to your primary server, then you have an open relay.  Is there any particular reason you have your backup server on your primary's client list?  If you were to take it off then I believe this problem would go away.
>>
>>    dan
>
>Dan,
>
>Thanks for the suggestion, but the backup is Not in the Client list of the primary.  The only thing that I changed to close the relay was to remove this line:
>
> 3-rivers.com = 3-rivers.com.smtp
>
>from the router on the backup.

Ummm... If you did this, how is mail s'posed to get to the primary from the secondary?!? Any server that tries to sent to your domain via the secondary server will get a "We do not relay" error and the mail will not be accepted. And isn't the whole point of a secondary to get mail and pass it on to the primary!?!

>There is obviously a bug in SIMS that opens a relay if that line is in the router.

No bug. It's just the nature of relaying. Your best bet is to restore the router line on your backup and do not list the secondary as a trusted host.