?????? #12421 ?????? ???????? SIMS@stalker.com
?? ????: Warren Michelsen <Warren@MDCCLXXVI.com>
????: Secondary Server Bounced Mail, why?
????: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 08:10:55 -0700
????: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
Yesterday my primary SIMS box was down for about 12 hours. Mail backed up on my secondary server as it should, but much of it bounced and I have no idea why.

The router on the backup has entries of the sort:

domain.com = domain.com.smtp

for each of the domains for which it bounced some mail. Confusingly, some for each such domain did not bounce but some did.

Here is an example:
___
Subject: Undeliverable mail: PS: iRack-3 Problems!
From: MAILER-DAEMON@SMTP.az.net
To: Sentry@smtp.az.net
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 22:18:30 -0700

Failed to deliver your message to Jimbo@MDCCLXXVI.com:
SMTP: Address rejected by host
Host 'mail.mdcclxxvi.com' says:
550 5.7.1 <Jimbo@MDCCLXXVI.com>... Relaying denied. IP name possibly forged [209.145.196.135]

Reporting-MTA: dns; SMTP.az.net

Final-Recipient: rfc822; Jimbo@MDCCLXXVI.com
Action: failed

Date: Mon, 20 JAN 2003 22:10:59 -0700
From: <Sentry@smtp.az.net>
To: <Jimbo@MDCCLXXVI.com>
CC:
Subject: PS: iRack-3 Problems!
___

Does it make sense that *any* mail for MDCCLXXVI.com would be bounced by the secondary, given the router entry in the secondary which says: MDCCLXXVI.com = MDCCLXXVI.com.smtp?

Big Question: When SIMS reports....

Host 'mail.mdcclxxvi.com' says:
550 5.7.1 <Jimbo@MDCCLXXVI.com>... Relaying denied. IP name possibly forged [209.145.196.135]

.... How is it identifying the host as 'mail.mdcclxxvi.com' ?

Does SIMS simply look up mail.mdcclxxvi.com and assume that the host at that IP address IS mail.mdcclxxvi.com or does a host have to specifically identify itself as mail.mdcclxxvi.com?

The reason I ask is this... (And this may be the key to the whole works)... The reason that mail.mdcclxxvi.com was down is that my OS X Server box stole its IP address. A "Feature" of Tenon's iTools caused it to automatically configure the IP address of my main mail/web/DNS on its en0.

I was moving a web site from my old, classic Mac OS box (my primary SIMS box) to my OS X Server (with iTools) box. I had updated the DNS and even checked that each resolver responded with the new IP address for this domain but somehow iTools got the old IP address instead when it did its lookup as the VHost was added, so it configured the iTools box to respond to the IP address that was in service on my main web/mail/DNS box, which is mail.mdcclxxvi.com.

As is often the case in the world, the courteous, considerate one lost out to the rude one and my OS 9.x box obligingly shut down its Ethernet interface because it detected that IP already in use on the network.

My SIMS box thus was unreachable. Any attempt by SIMS on the secondary to reach 'mail.mdcclxxvi.com' would have actually been connecting to my iTools-equipped OS X Server box which would have identified itself as xserver.mdcclxxvi.com.

So, when it says:
Host 'mail.mdcclxxvi.com' says:
550 5.7.1 <Jimbo@MDCCLXXVI.com>... Relaying denied. IP name possibly forged [209.145.196.135]

is SIMS *assuming* 'mail.mdcclxxvi.com' because it's connecting to the address that *should be* 'mail.mdcclxxvi.com'?

Finally, if the secondary was in fact connecting to my xserver.mdcclxxvi.com box, could SIMS be made to put that host name in the bounce messages/log, etc. instead of the hoped for 'mail.mdcclxxvi.com'?

--
Warren Michelsen  <Warren@OTFB.com>
Online Tools For Business --  <http://www.OTFB.com/>