From: Global Homes Webmaster <webmaster@globalhomes.com>
Subject: Re: Yahoo!Groups blacklisted by SPEWS -- whitelist workarounds?
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 11:06:10 -0800
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
On 03/25/03 at 13:04, ted crane wrote:

> SIMS 1.8b9d14 running on MacOS 8.1, 68K machine
>
> SPEWS (spews.relays.osirusoft.com) is included on our RBL server
> list. About a week ago, SPEWS added several of the Yahoo mail servers
> to its list. As a result, much (most?) of the mail sent by
> Yahoo!Groups is getting blocked.  Other Yahoo mail is being blocked
> as well.
>
> We have also seen examples of blocked mail that is clearly spam,
> judging from the same mail being sent to multiple addresses that
> are known *not* to be subscribed to any groups.  The volume of
> this spam is not large, though.  Given a choice between a little
> spam and losing a lot of desirable mail, we'd like to white list
> the Yahoo servers.
>
> Although I'm interested in commentary about SPEWS decision to
> list Yahoo (justifiable in that spam *is* originating there,
> but questionable in terms of disservice to a very large user
> community) ... my real question regards white lists and white listing.
>
> I've set up a few router entries of the form
>    <yahoo-recipient%domain.com@blacklisted> = bypass-address@domain.com
> to allow some incoming groups mail, but this method
> is impractical on a large scale.

Not to mention that it opens yahoo-recipient@domain.com up to spam from all
blacklisted addresses, not just Yahoo! servers.

> It looks as though the Yahoo mail server IP addresses *could*
> be put on the "client hosts" list, which would white list them,
> but this would also introduce an undesirable security hole.

If you consider the amount of actual spam coming through the Yahoo! servers
to be acceptably small, then this is probably the best solution.

> Are there other options in SIMS to white list specific
> servers or IP ranges?  Something I've missed in the documentation?

No. I'm not sure how you'd get a different effect than listing the IP
addresses in you're client host list anyway.

                      <http://www.globalhomes.com/>