From: Bill Cole <listbill@scconsult.com>
Subject: Re: Yahoo!Groups blacklisted by SPEWS -- whitelist workarounds?
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 20:08:37 -0500
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
At 1:04 PM -0500 3/25/03, ted crane  imposed structure on a stream of electrons, yielding:

Although I'm interested in commentary about SPEWS decision to
list Yahoo (justifiable in that spam *is* originating there,
but questionable in terms of disservice to a very large user
community) ...

It is absolutely reasonable given what SPEWS claims to be and has shown itself to be. This is ezxactly what one should expect as an outcome of using SPERWS: you will have legitimate mail blocked.

Personally, I wouldn't ever use SPEWS on any server where the users value their mail at all. It's a list designed to block enough legitimate mail to annoy legitimate users into action.

That said, Yahoo (particularly their 'stores' operation) has a pretty long ugly history of not just ignoring their spamming customers, but of assisting them in spamming.

my real question regards white lists and white listing.

I've set up a few router entries of the form
   <yahoo-recipient%domain.com@blacklisted> = bypass-address@domain.com
to allow some incoming groups mail, but this method
is impractical on a large scale.

It looks as though the Yahoo mail server IP addresses *could*
be put on the "client hosts" list, which would white list them,
but this would also introduce an undesirable security hole.

Indeed. Not a likely hole to be abused, but a real one.

Unfortunately, SIMS has no other way to say 'accept mail from this IP even if it is blacklisted.'

--
Bill Cole
bill@scconsult.com