From: Bill Cole <listbill@scconsult.com>
Subject: Re: Where are the newer versions?
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2003 22:59:23 -0500
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
At 12:00 PM -0800 4/3/03, Brian Findlay  imposed structure on a stream of electrons, yielding:
OK, I am running 1.8b8, and I am having servers all over the net reject my mail because 'solutions-consulting.net' does not resolve. I would like to try upgrading to a later version, as I see other people are having problems with this as well, but the links on the stalker site point to version 1.7!!!

Where are the newer ones????

they are at ftp://ftp.stalker.com/pub

However, there is nothing that SIMS can do to fix the fact that your DNS has been broken since you first posted to this list about it over a year ago, and it remains broken. It is broken in the same way, and nothing you do with SIMS can ever fix your DNS. The problem is that your IP address does not properly resolve to a working name.

The fix is the same as it was the last time you asked about this: talk to your provider.

The address you have (204.244.59.132) is in a large address block assigned to "WesTel Telecommunications" and they appear to have reassigned a small piece of it to "North East Online Network" aka neonet.bc.ca. which seems to be located just a few blocks from you. It appears that North East Online Network has no idea how to handle the (slightly unusual) reverse DNS delegation that they are getting from WesTel, and they are just ignoring its existence. It is as wrong today as it was last year, and a new version of SIMS or all the SIMS expertise in the world will not make the folks at neonet.bc.ca fix this.

If you have complained to them about this ("make my reverse DNS work" should suffice) and they have not corrected it, they are incompetent. If you have not gone to them, you should definitely do so. If they cannot fix this, it may be worthwhile to go upstream to WesTel and explain that neonet is staffed by imbeciles and that you just want your reverse DNS working, can they please fix it.

 (if the folks at neonet.bc.ca need a hint, just explain that they need a pointer record in DNS for 204.244.59.143.neonet.bc.ca. It would be nice for that PTR to point at solutions-consulting.net or any other name that resolves back forward to 204.244.59.143. )