From: <billc_lists@greenbuilder.com>
Subject: Re: Routing question
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2003 01:05:28 -0500
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
I am a domain registrar so i route dns all the time - but i am not quite sure what is happening with SIMS.  Here is the situation - all virtual domains have been using the own domain name sims to send and receive mail - however i have 1 client that does not wish to do that.  He wants to use his domain name to send and receive mail.  I routed the dns using his name to the sims box and something is wrong.  Does sims not pay attention to dns?  So - I put in the router clientdomain.com = mail.owndomain.com and his mail works.

yes, that's correct.

Here is my question - is that proper and for those names without routing entries - is there a problem if mail is sent to one of them?

Here is my example:

owndomain.com = mail.owndomain.com
clientdomain.com = mail.owndomain.com

So if I have a username "sales", would sales@owndomain.com and sales@clientdomain.com be lost?  Sales is in the account list with no routing prefix or suffix.

No, with that routing sales@clientdomain.com is equal to sales@owndomain.com, and will simply route to the account "sales".

If you need to differentiate further (ie, if you have 3 domains with the address "sales@..." or "info@..." or "webmaster@..." etc), you'd need to do further router entries.

For instance

<sales@domain1.com> = domain1sales
<sales@domain2.com> = joe
<*@domain3.com> = domain3@otherisp.com

owndomain.com = mail.owndomain.com
domain1.com = mail.owndomain.com
domain2.com = mail.owndomain.com

The order here is important. Router entries are checked from top to bottom, and the first valid one applies.

So mail to sales@domain1.com will be routed to the account "domain1sales", etc.  All mail to any address @domain3.com is routed to a remote address.

And mail to sales@owndomain.com  - or ANY other domain for which you have not explicitly set up routing - will go to the account "sales".

Note also that if you have explicitly routed all legal email addresses to accounts (or remote addresses), the router rules domain1.com=mail.owndomain.com
etc won't ever be needed, and you can leave them out. It's probably safer to include them.

Hope that clarifies things.
--
Bill Christensen
http://greenbuilder.com/contact/