From: Alex von Thorn <avt@worldhouse.com>
Subject: Re: Auto Dialup Issue
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 20:56:58 -0400
To: <spacemonkey@gofree.co.uk>, SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
At 11:28 AM +0100 4/15/03, Dene Stringfellow wrote:
Thanks for your input Alex. I haven't heard of this company before!
Now that I have blocked the IP address using the router, will the MacTCP
Watcher software pick up rejected dialup requests?

MacTCP Watcher will tell what the computer is listening for and what the computer is hearing. The advantage of MacTCP Watcher is that it says what ports it is hearing and listening for. Once you have the TCP port, you can figure out what application would be seeking that.

The users do use Eudora
and have their mail client automatically set to check their mailboxes once
every 15-30 minutes. This has always been the case, long before this
automatic dialup to the IP address 216.95.145.66 every 2 minutes started
happening.

It's not entirely clear what you mean by "dialup to the IP address". How are you getting this information. Someone else pointed out that dial-up is a layer-one/layer-two connection, so the IP address must be coming from somewhere.

As far as I was aware, the SIMS server only initiates a dialup call when it
wants deliver outgoing email, and the incoming email is handled by the
Mailtron Gateway dialer software which is set to check the incoming mailbox
at the service provider every 30 minutes during the normal working day.

I'm not familiar with this software. (Been a few years since I've turned on my modem.) Maybe someone else has specific knowledge of it.

I'll set up the MacTCP Watcher software to monitor the TCP/IP activity and
see if I get any feedback.

Thanks again.

Dene

Alex von Thorn wrote:

 Hi,

 The IP address in question routes to Patheon, Inc. (patheon.com) in
 Mississauga.  Does that ring a bell for you?

 If you are running a Mac running MacOS 9 or earlier (and that seems
 likely if you're on this list), then your computer is attempting to
 dial out when some application you are running is attempting to
 contact the Internet. If you run MacTCP Watcher, it will tell you
 what ports on your computer are being used. That should tell you what
 application you need to investigate. Basically, what you have to do
 is either shut that application down or change its config so it
 doesn't try to connect when you're offline.

 Mail clients often do this. If you have Eudora or something like that
 set to check mail every N minutes, your computer will dial out.

--
 Dene Stringfellow

--
Alex von Thorn                             http://worldhouse.com/alex/
(not speaking in any official capacity for any organization)