From: Joe Laffey <joe@laffeycomputer.com>
Subject: Re: AT&T Broadband Spam?
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2003 12:58:58 -0500 (CDT)
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
On Fri, 18 Apr 2003, Kevin Windham wrote:

[snip]

> In order to get around this problem I simply forward email destined to
> AOL.com through the ISPs mail server. There is no SMTP authentication
> required though, so I don't know that AOL has gained anything by
> blocking the IPs. I assume they had to take that kind of drastic
> measure because they either weren't getting help from ISPs, or they
> weren't willing to take the time to ask.

I think they have gained a lot. AOL claims 1 billion spams per day. They
have no manpower for that.

> If I were a spammer I would just forward mail through the ISP and if
> AOL can't get along with them then I would still be safe. I think the
> steps they took to sue spammers for damages will be much more effective.

The better providers would either have alarms that go off after a certain
number of emails are sent from one ip, or would at least note that in the
logs and take action. They also have limits on the number of recipients a
single envelope can have. Hotmail has even moved to limit the number of
emails a single user can send per day (to 100 I think). This has no effect
on the average user, but does a lot to spammers. Also, forcing email
through their servers makes it easier to log you and your emails for Total
Information Awarenes... ;-) (sadly)

--
Joe Laffey              |  Want to convert subnet masks between different
LAFFEY Computer Imaging |  notations, or figure the number of IPs in a block?