From: Kevin Windham <kevo@gatorgraphics.com>
Subject: Re: AT&T Broadband Spam?
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2003 13:17:54 -0500
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>

On Friday, April 18, 2003, at 12:58  PM, Joe Laffey wrote:
The better providers would either have alarms that go off after a certain
number of emails are sent from one ip, or would at least note that in the
logs and take action. They also have limits on the number of recipients a
single envelope can have. Hotmail has even moved to limit the number of
emails a single user can send per day (to 100 I think). This has no effect
on the average user, but does a lot to spammers. Also, forcing email
through their servers makes it easier to log you and your emails for Total
Information Awarenes... ;-) (sadly)

My point is that technical measures can be circumvented. The fact that mail can get through at all means that spam can too. IP's can be forged. Address limits can be worked around. Hitting them in the wallet I think is more effective. Escalating the arms race only escalates the arms race more. It is not much of an incentive for them to stop spamming. I know that us small fries don't have the funds to go down the legal route, but AOL does, and I am happy to see them test the waters.

Without that step their anti-spam efforts would be futile long term. With that measure I can see some hope for a significant reduction down the road.

Kevin