From: Global Homes Webmaster <webmaster@globalhomes.com>
Subject: Re: How can I do it???
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 10:30:50 -0700
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
On 04/22/03 at 03:07, Ron Johnson opined:

> Hey Guys...
>
> It has been a while since I've written to the list -- think the last
> time I wrote, I asked if putting my static IP address into the Client
> Hosts List would make me an "Open Relay again.  Well, now I have a
> new question.
>
> I've recently set up an eMail Pettition Drive through a page on my
> web site.  Users reach a page, where they can read a letter, then
> fill out a short form, submit it, and a copy of the letter, along
> with the info they've entered into the form, is sent, via eMail, to
> the U.S. Department of Justice.  I'm using Eric Lease Morgan's
> email.cgi, plus MondoMail to accomplish this.
>
> Because I only have the IP addresses of the local machines on my
> network in the Client Hosts List, anyone from the outside will not be
> able to use our server to relay to the DOJ.  I did figure out a
> workaround for this problem, however.  I created an account called
> "USAG_Pettition" then used a program called Mail Forward to forward
> all messages which come to this account to the address
> "AskDOJ@usdoj.gov.  Of course, in my mail form, I have the "To
> Address" & the "Mailer" hard-coded, and all seems to be working well.
>
> What I'd like to do, however, is re hard-code "AskDOJ@usdoj.gov" back
> into my mail form, and have all requests sent to us via that form,
> forwarded on to that address, thus, eliminating the need for the
> workarround.  Simply put, I'd like to circumvent the anti-spam
> features of the server for this particular project, so that anyone
> filling out my form can relay directly through us to the U.S. DOJ.
> Can this be done?  If so, how?  Is, or can, the SIMS Router be used
> to accomplish this?  This workaround works, but I think it's a bit
> hokey!  Any assistance/expertise will be *greatly* appreciated!

Maybe I'm not quite understanding what you're doing, but if the e-mail
message is being generated by a CGI program on your web server and sent
from the web server through your SIMS server, then it's the web server
that's connecting SIMS to send the message, not the web user who filled out
the form. If that's the case, then there's no need for any work-around. All
you need is to have the IP address of the web server in SIMS' client hosts
list and you're good to go -- the 'To' and 'From' addresses of the CGI
generated messages can be anything and SIMS won't care.

> P.S.
>
> I have several servers listed in my RBL servers list.  Should I have
> several listed in there, or does/will one suffice?  Again, any
> help/expertise in this matter is *greatly* appreciated!

It depends on what kind of bad guys you want to block. For most of us,
there's no one single list that contains all of the possible categories --
open relays, open proxies, dial-ups, etc. Depending on the lists you choose
to use, it generally takes at least two or three RBL lists to cover
everything.

                      <http://www.globalhomes.com/>