From: Bill Cole <listbill@scconsult.com>
Subject: Re: Verify return paths?
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 07:28:43 -0400
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
At 6:05 PM +1000 4/25/03, Steven  imposed structure on a stream of electrons, yielding:
I have set my SIMS server to Relay for Clients only, and I haven't added
any IP address to the Client list, instead setting the option that for 30
secs authenticated IPs are treated as Client ones (this works for my
situation).

With this configuration alone, it seems to me that the server could not be
used by spammers as a mail relay (especially since the server requires APOP
which protects the passwords).

What, if any, then is the extra protection afforded by checking the Verify
Return Paths option?

It's a protection against incoming spam. I checks to make sure that any mail at least claims to have a sender with a domain that exists.
--
Bill Cole
bill@scconsult.com