From: chris <cb@mythtech.net>
Subject: Re: Windows SMTP service / Fighting spam with good network design
Date: Fri, 2 May 2003 15:32:48 -0400
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
>That doesn't apply to, say, someone who I've never corresponded with
>sending mail to webmaster@globalhomes.com with some inquiry about a web
>site I manage. The purpose of publishing something like a webmaster address
>is for people to be able to send those types of communications, so the
>solicitation is implied.

But I offer the exeption of when this email is bulk in nature, and
repitious.

I get "spam" from some lady to my webmaster address about once a week,
offering to get my web site listed in dozens of search engines for her
low low price.

If it happened once, then I wouldn't consider it spam because it could
have just been a legit attempt to drum up business. Since it happens
weekly, and is not personally addressed to me (ie: it's bulk), I very
much so consider it spam regardless of it being correctly addressed and
topical for the address.

Someday I'll get around to doing something about the ever increasing
volume of spam I get (right now I do zero spam filtering at the client or
server level... and the only blacklist I have is blocking 3 people that
kept sending the same tired forwards to my wife day after day... she
asked them to stop, they didn't, so I blacklisted their addresses on her
request... it was a great feeling a few hours later when the first person
called me to complain, and I told them they were warned, now suffer the
consequences!)

-chris
<http://www.mythtech.net>