From: Global Homes Webmaster <webmaster@globalhomes.com>
Subject: Re: Windows SMTP service / Fighting spam with good network design
Date: Fri, 2 May 2003 12:48:26 -0700
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
On 05/02/03 at 15:32, chris opined:

> >That doesn't apply to, say, someone who I've never corresponded with
> >sending mail to webmaster@globalhomes.com with some inquiry about a
> >web site I manage. The purpose of publishing something like a
> >webmaster address is for people to be able to send those types of
> >communications, so the solicitation is implied.
>
> But I offer the exeption of when this email is bulk in nature, and
> repitious.

I'd agree. I was thinking more along the lines of someone making a
legitimate inquiry about a specific site's content or the like. Bulk
commercial messages are, of course, a different animule.

> I get "spam" from some lady to my webmaster address about once a week,
> offering to get my web site listed in dozens of search engines for her
> low low price.

I consider those to be spam as well.

> If it happened once, then I wouldn't consider it spam because it could
> have just been a legit attempt to drum up business.

I consider it spam the first time. I don't need it, don't want it, it
doesn't really have anything to do with my web site(s), and it's annoying.

> Since it happens weekly, and is not personally addressed to me (ie:
> it's bulk), I very much so consider it spam regardless of it being
> correctly addressed and topical for the address.
>
> Someday I'll get around to doing something about the ever increasing
> volume of spam I get (right now I do zero spam filtering at the client or
> server level... and the only blacklist I have is blocking 3 people that
> kept sending the same tired forwards to my wife day after day... she
> asked them to stop, they didn't, so I blacklisted their addresses on her
> request... it was a great feeling a few hours later when the first person
> called me to complain, and I told them they were warned, now suffer the
> consequences!)

The bottom line is that we are all free to define what 'spam' is as it
relates to what comes into our own systems and networks. Consequently,
we're all free to deal with spam on our own systems and networks in
whatever way we feel is appropriate in the context of our individual
definitions.

                      <http://www.globalhomes.com/>