From: Bill Cole <listbill@scconsult.com>
Subject: Re: Which ports should I leave open?
Date: Sat, 10 May 2003 10:07:34 -0400
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
At 11:54 PM -0400 5/9/03, Alex von Thorn  imposed structure on a stream of electrons, yielding:
At 4:57 PM -0500 5/9/03, Ron Johnson wrote:
 >I think 106 is the PWD Password port, not 26

I didn't even realize that there was a 'change PWD' port for mail
servers...  I presume, then, that there's a corresponding 'change PWD' port
for FTP, etc?  Is there some place on the net which lists all the common
ports and what they do?

There is a list of commonly-used ports in the /etc/services file of any UNIX system (including MacOS X).

Yes, and those lists can be a good complement to the official word from IANA. For example, the MacOS X list includes a lot of high-port things that IANA doesn't acknowledge and notes a number of places where traditional usage or naming conflicts with the standard.