From: Larry Stone <lstone19@stonejongleux.com>
Subject: Re: AOL-DNS Problems
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 19:28:23 -0500
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
On 5/15/03 7:04 PM, Global Homes Webmaster at webmaster@globalhomes.com
wrote:

>> What do I need to do to get reverse DNS working to suit AOL.  Mail is
>> working great to all other domains except the good old AOL.
>
> I'd guess that AOL wants the reverse record for your mail server to resolve
> back to the name that the server claims in its HELO (i.e. the name that you
> give it in SIMS' general settings). You'd have to get Charter to set that
> up for you. Good luck! (It ain't very likely.) BTW, this is one reason why
> insisting that reverse DNS matches forward DNS, as AOL is doing, is an iffy
> policy.

So set SIMS up so that what the PTR record resolves to is what is sent in
the HELO message. That's how I have mine set up.

In General Settings, the "main domain name" is
dsl092-131-028.chi1.dsl.speakeasy.net

In the Router, I have
*.stonejongleux.com =  dsl092-131-028.chi1.dsl.speakeasy.net
stonejongleux.com = dsl092-131-028.chi1.dsl.speakeasy.net
which allows all mail to stonejongleux.com or anything.stonejongleux.com to
be accepted.

I have no trouble sending to AOL with this arrangement.

-- Larry Stone
   larry@stonejongleux.com
   http://www.stonejongleux.com/