From: Neil Herber <nospam@mail.eton.ca>
Subject: Re: A spam gripe (OT?)
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2003 15:03:23 -0400
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
It is rumored that on or about 8/6/03 11:21 AM -0700, Global Homes Webmaster wrote as follows:
 > As I understand it, the only account you MUST have is "postmaster".
 An abuse account would normally be used for people to report spam
 from your network, not to complain about being blacklisted.
 Blackilist problems, bad addresses, and other service related
 difficulties should be reported to postmaster.

 If I were you I would just make "abuse" a spam trap.

Um, if 'abuse' is supposed to be an address to which people are supposed to
be able to send complaints about spam and other net abuse coming, or
appearing to come, from your network, doesn't it seem a bit rude to spam
trap it?

Yes it is rude, I suppose. However, I have never received any mail at my abuse address and the postmaster address is always available. I have noticed that some ISPs do not use a simple "abuse" account - for example, Shaw Cable 24.64.0.0 - 24.71.255.255 has "internet.abuse" as their preferred reporting address.

As long as I wasn't advertising "abuse" as the reporting address, I don't think it would be too rude to spam trap it. Spammers seem to be a lot ruder to me! ;->

--
Neil

Neil Herber
Corporate info at http://www.eton.ca/