From: Global Homes Webmaster <webmaster@globalhomes.com>
Subject: Re: I can log in to Sims via the internet since I use a PC running Windows 2000 with Netscape or IE or Mozillia.
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2003 16:28:42 -0700
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
On 08/07/03 at 17:59 -0700, net~guru@dakotarainbow.com opined:

> I can log in to Sims via the internet since I use a PC running
> Windows 2000 with Netscape or IE or Mozillia.
> But, when I try to view the logs they never fully load & I also
> do I criteria search within the log. I am DSL which is also the
> same connection our website is on I also have try it externally
> from another computer & connection TIA & suggestion are appreciated

That happens with the current log because SIMS never sends an EOF (end of
file) for it so that it can continue to send lines as they are written to
the log. Theoretically, that should allow you to view activity on you
server in more or less real time. It's an imperfect solution for a protocol
(HTTP) that's less than ideal for the task. Some browsers (like Netscape,
IIRC) don't like it too well.

It shouldn't happen when viewing previous days' logs. It might take a few
moments to load the entire log, depending on its size, but you should
eventually get an EOF.

For viewing the current log, it's better to use the CommuniGator
application. If you've got Timbuktu on your server, you can TB2 to it and
run CommuniGator locally. If you're on the same LAN as the server, you can
run CommuniGator on your workstation and connect to the server via program
linking (which must be enabled on the server).

> Second problem...
>
> We have a friend near that has a email account with us ....we
> setup over at her house & she can receive from our server, but
> cannot send ...she get a timed-connection. However she can send
> via her ISP's SMTP server it goes thru. She use a dialup connection
> with MSN. She has Macintosh 6300 I think with Outlook early version
> & Eudora 5. They both do not work when try to send out from our
> SMTP server.
> We setup the account over here it work fine. I also setup it
> over at over at other friend she has a Compaq PC with XP using
> Outlook and it worked there she also has dialup connection which
> happen to use MSN also. We did to eliminate the possibility of
> it being something with MSN

If you've got 'Relay for Clients Only' enabled (if it's not, your an open
relay and contributing to the spam problem), that's probably the problem.
If that's the case, you need to do one of the following:

1. Have your friend send mail through her ISP's server(s). There shouldn't
be any reason for her not to.

2. If your friend has a fixed IP address, add it to your Client Hosts list.
Don't do this if it's _not_ a fixed address (e.g. she uses a dial-up or DSL
with dynamically assigned address, etc.).

3. Set the 'For xx min authenticated IPs are treated as Client ones' to
something other than 'Never'. Then, after checking her mail, your friend
can send mail through your server for whatever time period you configure.

4. Enable 'Advertise AUTH capability' and have your friend use SMTP AUTH
when sending through your server. This may not be an option if she's using
an older e-mail client that doesn't support AUTH. Also, her client may not
call it 'SMTP AUTH'.

                      <http://www.globalhomes.com/>