From: Global Homes Webmaster <webmaster@globalhomes.com>
Subject: Re: Suggestions to improve this RBL list?
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 10:16:34 -0700
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
On 08/14/03 at 23:42 -0400, Aron Spencer opined:

> Here is my current RBL list:
>
> rbl.maps.vix.com
> relays.mail-abuse.org "/maps-rss.html"
> blackholes.mail-abuse.org "/maps-rbl.html"
> dialups.mail-abuse.org "/maps-dul.html"

You could probably drop these first four and not notice it.

> sbl.spamhaus.org

Definitely keep Spamhaus. It'll keep the worst of the scum out.

> ;bl.spamcop.net

You'll probably find opinions just about split on Spamcop. I'd keep it off
your list. It has a hair trigger and its listing criteria are a bit too
loose for my taste.

> cn-kr.blackholes.us
> singapore.blackholes.us
> malaysia.blackholes.us
> nigeria.blackholes.us
> brazil.blackholes.us
> ;wanadoo-fr.blackholes.us

The blackholes.us country lists are comprehensive and are good to use if
you're confident that you will never get legitimate mail from the countries
that you blacklist.

> korea.services.net

korea.services.net is redundant given that you also use
cn-kr.blackholes.us.

> opm.blitzed.org

An excellent open proxy list. Definitely a keeper.

> relays.osirusoft.com

Either explicitly use the specific Osirusoft sub-lists that you're
interested in or, if you use the full list (as you are now), adjust your
SIMS internal blacklist to ignore the more problematic sub-lists. The
relays.osirusoft.com list includes, among other things, the SPEWS list,
about which you will find all manner of nasty comments both in this list's
archives and just about everywhere else on the 'net. There are also a
couple of sub-lists that even Osirusoft's maintainer (Joe Jared) doesn't
recommend to be used to block mail on production servers. Personally, I use
the full list (to reduce the number of DNS look-ups that SIMS has to do),
but leave 127.0.0.4-127.0.0.6 out of my internal blacklist to ignore the
'bad' sub-lists.

> blackholes.wirehub.net

I have no experience with the wirehub list.

> relays.ordb.org

ORDB is a good open relay list, although some people on this list take
issue with their testing methodology. As has been pointed out on the list
recently, the various open relay lists have been so effective that spammers
don't exploit open relays much any more, preferring open proxies.

> I would appreciate suggestions as to how to make it more effective.

You might consider adding blackholes.easynet.nl. It's an open proxy list
that's a good supplement to the Blitzed (BOPM) list.

                      <http://www.globalhomes.com/>