From: Global Homes Webmaster <webmaster@globalhomes.com>
Subject: [OT] Re: SIMS and OSX
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 14:25:54 -0700
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
On 08/15/03 at 13:50 -0700, Michael Heth opined:

> On Thursday, August 14, 2003, at 10:31 AM, Global Homes Webmaster wrote:
>
> > Unless you need OS X Server for other things (AFS,
> > Netboot, etc.), though, it seems like a huge waste of money just to
> > get a
> > pretty GUI for freely available software.
>
> Maybe, maybe not.
>
> I have downloaded all the software required to install
> apache,

Apache is included with OS X. No additional installation is necessary
unless you require a different build.

> mysql

There's an OS X Installer package on <http://www.mysql.org/>. It's a
double-click install, plus a couple of simple commands on the command line,
clearly described in the installation README, to initialize the mysql
database and get the server running. Learning to use MySQL once it's
installed is admittedly a bit of a learning curve, but that's true
regardless of how you install it and there are piles of good books and
online resources on the subject.

> php

PHP is included with OS X, with MySQL support compiled in. No additional
installation is necessary unless you require a different build. You do have
to edit a couple of lines in httpd.conf to enable it, but that's pretty
trivial.

> postfix
> courier
> squirrelmail
>
> to build a robust freeware webmail system,
>
> and between them the pdf manuals alone total about 2000 pages but I
> don't think I need to worry about half of them ;-).
>
> If there was a one click install of everything else I could deal with
> PHP and Squirrelmail myself as they are the least difficult. I've been
> using web* and SIMS and all the other OS9 era stuff for 6 years and the
> downloaded "howto" on linking postfix/courier/mysql got pretty thick as
> I was reading it last night.
>
> A nice GUI would be worth some dough to me.

I suppose it depends on your experience and inclinations. If it takes more
than $500 worth of your time to get up to speed building everything from
scratch, then paying for Panther Server may be a good investment. On the
other hand, if you like to know how things go together and work together
(as I do), that tends to offset time spent on the learning curve. Learning
is good. And, for me anyway, if it means that I'm better able deal with
problems when they arise, GUI or no, that's even better. So I'll
respectfully stick by my earlier sentiment that $500 seems [to me] like a
lot of money to pay to put a pretty GUI on freely distributed open source
software. Of course, if you need things from OS X Server beyond the basic
internet services, then it starts to look like a bargain even if you need
an unlimited license.

BTW, I think I misspoke before. The MDA that will be in Panther Server will
be Cyrus IMAP. Also, FWIW, the common wisdom on the macos-x-server mailing
list is that if you intend to use the built-in mail service in Panther
Server (postfix/cyrus/squirrelmail), it's probably best for most people who
are already running Jaguar Server to use its built-in Apple Mail Server.
The feeling is that the upgrade path (AMS -> Apple's postfix/cyrus
implementation) will be the smoothest in that case.

This is getting pretty far off topic now, so we should probably wind it
down.

                      <http://www.globalhomes.com/>