From: Charles Mangin <option8@option8.com>
Subject: worms
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 10:51:17 -0400
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
i've followed all the discussion on here about RBLs, blocking relays, only relaying for client IPs, and i think i've managed to lock down my mailserver so it's pretty much (well, maybe 90%) spam free. i'm certainly getting a lot less, and my email address is plastered all over my websites. i've got spam covered, and it's only a matter of tweaking now. many thanks to the list for services rendered.

but how about worms? (worms? viruses? that's so out of left field! what makes you bring that up now?)

is there any functionality in SIMS or a third party app that works in conjunction with SIMS to filter email based on, say file attachment types? something as simple as no .exe, .scr .pif... because most of the worm traffic i've seen looks like legitimate email (though it's forged headers, which confuses me.. i thought sims caught forged headers most of the time?) - it wouldn't even need to filter based on content, just look at file attachments and their names, and i'd be satisfied.

anyhoo, any help would be greatly appreciated.

             charles mangin | Alpha Geek and Chief Mental Hygienist
        option8@option8.com | What's that watermelon doing there?
     http://niftee-tron.com | http://mentalhygiene.com