From: Tod Fitch <Tod@FitchDesign.com>
Subject: Re: rDNS
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 13:25:05 -0700
To: SIMS Discussions <SIMS@mail.stalker.com>
I switched to Covad DSL recently because of the awful service I was getting from PacBell DSL. In my case I am paying for 5 IP addresses.

As far as rDNS, Covad set those up for me with no problems. I ended up having the IP addresses resolve to host1.mydomain.com, host2.mydomain.com, host3.mydomain.com, etc. For forward DNS I use aliases to map WWW, mail, etc to host1, etc. My SIMS box believes it is at mail.mydomain.com but the IP address it is behind is NATed from host1.mydomain.com. So far no problems with anyone accepting mail (but I don't think I have any mail that was destined for Roadrunner yet).

By the way, I seem to have similar connection outages with Covad as I had with PacBell (I suspect problems in the PacBell central office I am connected through) but Covad customer support has been much, much better than PacBell and the equipment Covad supplied is easier for me to automatically monitor and reset.